Re: HYB: Saliva, Poison

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Saliva, Poison
  • From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 07:37:21 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

>Dana Brown allowed  (Like Smith Barney, when she speaks, we listen:
> > I find a supply of round toothpick works really well. Dampen the end
> > with a saliva, collect some pollen on it and wipe it on the stigmatic
> > lip. Move on to the next flower, clean the toothpick as a function of
> > remoistening it. (or toss and use a new one)
> 	I thought that moisture was death to pollen?  That is why my friend
> uses saliva to clean up in between flowers?

	Then, there is the story of the hybridizer who spits on the
stigmatic lip while making crosses.

	Also, there is the story of the flower club lady, who, while making
her arrangement, held an iris stalk between her teeth.  Seems she
ingested some 'sap' from the stalk...made her deathly ill and she was
carried to the hospital as a result...heard she was in insensitive
care for awhile.

	Myths?  Are irises really poisonous?  Is saliva poisonous to pollen?

		Walter Moores
		Enid Lake, MS 7/8