HYB: Saliva on stigmatic lip

  • Subject: HYB: Saliva on stigmatic lip
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 17:40:23 PST

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Sorry folks, and John, I'm sending that message again, with suitably
altered subject heading:
><< I had good success moistening the dry stigmatic lips with saliva,
before
> pollenating, during a heat spell last November. Previous heat spells,
> was getting no pods at all, and the saliva moistened ones almost all
> took. >>
>
>Return the moisture to dehydrated pollen.  Great tip.  One I had never
considered.  Thanks   >Betty from Bowling Green

It actually returns the moisture to the dehydrated stigmatic lip. The
other way, suggested by Sharon McAllister, was to crush, or squeeze a
fresh stigmatic lip against the one you are trying to pollenate. This is
OK if you have one.
I had 75 seeds from two pods from Supreme Sultan, so I got fairly good
pollenation using this method, when I had been failing miserably with
all the dry stigmas.
Cheers, Jan