Re: CULT:potting irises

  • Subject: Re: CULT:potting irises
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 18:13:28 PST

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Thanks Glenn, for a very interesting e-mail on potting of new irises. I
haven't planted a rz direct into the garden since our discussions last
year. I found the potting method so successful. It solves the problem of
'rocking' rhizomes not establishing roots, and also allows me to prepare
my new beds when I want to, rather than having to rush, in the heat of
summer, to get beds ready for new rz.s
I put all my pots together in a sort of circle, so I can put the
sprinkler on for a while, and go back inside. I use a mixture which is
1/2 and 1/2 compost and sharp sand.
Up until my last batch of rz's I had been reluctant to shaving the
roots. The rz's that came from Graeme Grosvenor were quite dry, and
their roots were shrivelled. I have had problems establishing these
previously, so I trimmed off all the roots, soaked the rz's for 2 days
in a weak seaweed fertiliser solution, then planted them. They are easy
to push into the soil this way.
What really amazed me was the 1/4 inch of new root growth that occurred
on most of the 11 rz's during the 2 days they were in the seeweed
solution.
I wait until I see signs of roots protruding from the base of the pots
before I plant them in the garden.
I think the 'gallon' pots you are talking about would be 8 to 10"
diameter. A 6 inch pot certainly wouldn't have the volume of a gallon.
(1 gallon = 8 pints). I have been using 6" pots for TB's and SDB's.
Occassionally I use  4" pot for my SDB's
Cheers, Jan Clark