HYB: Rehydrating the Stigmatic Lip

  • Subject: HYB: Rehydrating the Stigmatic Lip
  • From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:34:52 -0500

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Jan Clark wrote:

>  It actually returns the moisture to the dehydrated stigmatic lip. The
>  other way, suggested by Sharon McAllister, was to crush, or squeeze a
>  fresh stigmatic lip against the one you are trying to pollenate. This is

>  OK if you have one.

It doesn't even have to be fresh.  I normally sacrifice a style arm from an
old flower I didn't cross -- as long as the flower hasn't completely
folded, you can cut or break off a style arm and daub the exposed surface
on the stigmatic lip to rehydrate it enough that it will be receptive to
pollen.  If that's not enough, you may have to crush it or stab it with a
toothpick a few times to make the juices run but I've have better luck with
stigmatic juice as a moistening agent than saliva.

BTW, the donor juice doesn't have to come from a flower of the same

Sharon McAllister