Re: CULT:potting irises

  • Subject: Re: CULT:potting irises
  • From: "Lew" <bcl@mail2.texnet.net>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:45:42 -0600

Hi All

Guess it's about time for me to add my 2 cents worth again.  I consider myself to still be quite a newby to iris growing.

I have always admired iris since my childhood, as so many folks grow them here.  Last spring I bought some iris at a local nursery, they had no idea of colors, etc. but they were relatively inexpensive and I wanted to start somewhere.

While surfin the net I came across this list and joined it.  The "sale list" came out after the Denver Show and the descriptions of the iris looked so exciting that I ordered 10 rz from it.  We were in a record setting drought, so I pled to the list for advice on how to make them survive.

Within a few hours Walter had posted the root shaving, potting technique for me.  I had no idea (at that time) of his stature in the iris community, was scared to shave my "prizes," but felt that since he was at a state university there was an excellent chance he knew what he was talking about.

I'm pleased to tell you that ALL of the iris are in great shape.  None died, in fact I used the methods he suggested for some other iris some of the other listmembers were kind enough to share with me.  Every iris I planted in the beds last fall has green leaves, some are even showing increase.  I still have no bloomstalks but am eagerly awaiting them.   I have corresponded with several of you personally, and appreciate everyone's help.

I plan to send my membership application to AIS this week.  I may be the first person ever to join before he ever got a bloom on his own iris.  My wife Linda and I plan to attend the convention in OKC.  Hope to meet many of you there!

Lew Best
Waco, TX
USDA Zone 8, Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 33