Re: OT:Catalogs - Lone Star Iris Gardens

  • Subject: Re: OT:Catalogs - Lone Star Iris Gardens
  • From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 08:24:46 -0500

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

At 09:05 AM 2/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
>
>>     LONE STAR IRIS GARDENS
>
>>   The extreme heat and drought conditions experienced in 1998 took a very
>>heavy
>>toll on the garden. We had several failures in our automated irrigation
>>system
>>which played a large part in losing so many plants. These  malfunctions
>>combined with the fact that my full-time job kept me traveling  constantly
>>made
>>for a disastrous combination. To further compound the  problems mandatory
>>watering restrictions were also implemented when pumps  failed and water
>>pressure levels became so low that the city could not pump  enough water to
>>meet the demand There was simply not enough of me, plants or  water to go
>>around.
>

>Etc., etc.  So what was the Big Secret that several on the list claimed to
>know about but could not whisper?
>
>Bill Shear

This was the reason I queried about a Louisiana iris order that was never
shipped without mentioning the grower and asking for private response - I
found it really hard to believe that anyone who put as much time and energy
into growing and marketing iris would intentionally try and stiff anyone.
From the responses I got it quickly became clear that the drought in the
Dallas area would emerge as the culprit.
Also, from the information I gained, I learned that Farron Campbell is held
in very high regard in the Louisiana growing fraternity, has a full-time
job that causes him to travel a lot, and is doing this as a labor of love -
as anyone primarily positioned in the new introductions market would have
to be.
He seems to be determined to put this operation back on its feet, and I
assurred him that when he is able to put out a list, that I would renew my
order.
Here in Northeast Tennessee we got the tail end of this drought, and as the
new Louisiana and Japanese iris that I did receive came in we were right in
the middle of it, and I was scrounging for milk jugs to put by each new
plant so they could slowly drip water into them, and carrying water each
evening to fill all those jugs, and still lost a couple. Weather can happen
to any of us.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net