SPEC: I. sikkimensis & I. potaninii

  • Subject: SPEC: I. sikkimensis & I. potaninii
  • From: dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:20:39 -0500

From:	dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)

I found some sources for these arils, but I know nothing about them.  If
anyone on IRIS-TALK grows these, can you let me know their cultural
requirements?

Here is what Fritz Kohlein's book says about them (paraphrased):
     They are pseudoregelias from the Himalayas and Central Asia.
     They come from high elevations (above the timberline) in high
     grassy meadows.  Iris potaninii is almost unobtainable.  Iris
     sikkimensis is possibly a natural hybrid between I. hookeriana
     and I. kamaonensis (two other pseudoregelias).

The nursery selling Iris sikkimensis sells mature plants, and is in
Indiana.  The nursery selling Iris potaninii sells seeds only.

Any advice from the aril experts?

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, SLI, & Miami Valley Iris Society
(Check out my web page at http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html)