Re: AIS: Bulletin Content

  • Subject: Re: AIS: Bulletin Content
  • From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 20:14:45 -0600

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

>Anybody else have suggestions for specific listers to write about?

Linda, I think you should write about your strenuous efforts to reduce the
guesswork in finding cultivars that will survive your frost pocket.

How about a one-page feature every quarter to repeat some of the funny
stories we tell on one another -- Kathy Guest (I think it was Kathy, may be
wrong) and the paper hats she made for all her cultivars, or the fellow who
steamed the wallpaper off the bathroom trying to force open a tardy bloom
for the show, or Linda's horse trying to eat the alfafa out of the flower
bed.

Sharlyn Rocha could write about the great gopher battle.

Tom Dillard could contribute a brief on Pete, the rock-eating dog who
interferred with the in-pond planting of guest irises for the SLI '99
convention by diving into the pond beside him and churning up rocks. Then
he'd run all around with the rocks, chewing them and growling.

Walta could compile all the stories he knows about how people mangle
cultivar names. Silverada, Isle of Nuns, Forget Fire, that sort of thing.

Hey! How about a column collecting interesting stories behind cultivar
names? I don't mean a one-insertion article but a quarterly one-page
feature. We could learn the funny stories behind HUSH DIANA or BOB WARD or
GO AROUND.

celia
mailto:storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level, Little Rock soils are often acid, sandy loam, rocky
average rainfall about 49 inches (more than 60" in '97, but less than 42"
in '98)
High humidity, moderate winters, hot summers; but conditions seesaw
Extreme recorded temps: HI 110 F, LO -13 F