Re: AIS: Bulletin Content

  • Subject: Re: AIS: Bulletin Content
  • From: HIPSource@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:32:07 EST

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 2/4/99 6:28:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, lmann@icx.net

<< I especially enjoy Anner's tours of the historic irises in her
neighborhood, so that's one suggestion.  Maybe a compilation of more than one
year's tour.  Save that for a winter issue when we are all starved for spring
bloom, so we can travel in our imaginations. Illustrated with some of the
gorgeous pix on Mike Lowe's web page.>>

Thank you, Linda. That is a very nice thing to say. I've written twice on the
subject and the first article has seen some action, having been reprinted in
ROOTS and two other publications. The second I've been saving until I had time
to polish it. The original post was made here, and was mighty rough. But I
might be able to get it in some shape. I wonder, though, about the range of
interest for such a thing. I do know that we are fortunate in this Society
that we do not have the rabid polarization between fanciers of antique
cultivars and modern ones that you see in, for instance, the rose folk or the
hemerocallis folk, and most people enjoy some variety in their irises and
sincerely respect other's preferences, but whether AIS would be up for an
article about hunting antique irises from a rhapsodic point of view, I don't

Anner Whitehead