Re: AIS: Bulletin Content

  • Subject: Re: AIS: Bulletin Content
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 09:41:14 -0400

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>Anner wrote:
>> whether AIS would be up for an
>> article about hunting antique irises from a
>> rhapsodic point of view, I don't know.
>As one who very much enjoyed "accompanying" you
>on your walks as I read your words, I do hope you
>will go ahead and send AIS similar articles.
>I would much prefer reading your pieces over some
>of the garden "descriptions" that have appeared in
>the Bulletin in the past.

I'm in complete agreement.  That posting from Anner was one of the best
things ever to appear on the list, and in my opinion was publishable as it
was.  Illustrated with a few pictures of the historics mentioned, it would
be a wonderful addition to the bulletin--which has so little about historic
irises these days.

The question isn't if "AIS" would be interested, but would the readers of
the Bulletin be interested?  Certainly the great reception that post got on
the list says that they would.

I too get peeved sometimes by descriptions of gardens which feature long
lists of varietal names without any further comment.  All that tells us is
that such-and-such a variety was growing in such-and-such a garden--not
very useful information.  I'd far rather see an in-depth evaluation of
fewer varieties, and those varieties at least partially described.

Come on, people!  We have to get beyond making lists of articles we hope
somebody else will write--sit down before the old monitor and tap out what
you think, feel, intuit, or know about any iris-related subject.  Don't be
intimidated by writing for publication.  Our bulletin has a skilled editor
who will polish up your prose.  Just think of it as a letter to your
extended family!

And think of the great feeling of pride and satisfaction you will have when
you see your first Bulletin article in print.  The acclaim of the masses,

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943