OT: Disagreement is OK - Insults not OK

  • Subject: OT: Disagreement is OK - Insults not OK
  • From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:01:25 -0500

From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>

Recently I received a short private unsigned e-mail from a person who
obviously disagreed with my opinion on the Lone Star Gardens situation. It
was left to me to later determine who exactly this was and I also determined
that this person belonged to Iris Talk. The actual topic was similarly also
left to vagary and surmise.

It is very much okay to disagree and discuss BUT it is not okay to send
insults to show your opinion. I am acutely aware that e-mail is particularly
prone to this sort of behavior but if you engage in it do not expect a
response or at best an extremely curt response will be sent. I have very,
very little time for these aberrations and absolutely zero tolerance. If you
feel that it is okay to do this with the relative anonymity of e-mail, think
again. Your e-mail is not as anonymous as you may think. I have only spent
the time that I have on this in order to bring this matter to a close and
circumvent possible future occurrences.

I should add that this list is remarkable for the very low number of these
sort of exchanges. Ideas and opinions are openly expressed/discussed and
most everyone within this communal forum leaves feeling just a little more
informed. Thus our process is an educational one, allowing the readers to
assess information through rational discussion and then draw their own
informed conclusions.

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI