Re: OT: Disagreement is OK - Insults not OK

  • Subject: Re: OT: Disagreement is OK - Insults not OK
  • From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 14:03:20 -0600

From: Glenn Simmons

Chris Hollinshead wrote:

From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>

Recently I received a short private unsigned e-mail from a person who obviously disagreed with my opinion on the Lone Star Gardens situation. It was left to me to later determine who exactly this was and I also determined that this person belonged to Iris Talk. The actual topic was similarly also left to vagary and surmise.

<< snip >>  It is very much okay to disagree and discuss BUT it is not okay to send insults to show your opinion.
<< snip >> our process is an educational one, allowing the readers to assess information through rational discussion and then draw their own informed conclusions.

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI
Director-Canadian Iris Society
Newsletter Editor-Canadian Iris Society
E-mail:  cris@netcom.ca
CIS website:  http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/CIS.html

I agree with what Chris has stated.  If someone disagrees with something said that is their right.  However, no one should resort to insults, intimidation, using degrading language, attempt to humiliate or "shout down" someone or something they disagree with.  I feel very strongly about this.

I have already read a couple of posts encouraging John to ban the offending person from Iris Talk.  I also disagree with this opinion unless this represents multiple offenses by this person.  We all must be tolerant of each other and our beliefs.  Many times a new (or newer) person may not be aware of "List" etiquette and to ban that person for a breach really serves no purpose.  Wouldn't it be much better to make sure the person is well informed of the policies and "bring them into the fold" rather than to ban them?

I hope John takes this into consideration before taking any action.

Glenn & Linda Simmons
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------ To unsubscribe from this mailing list, or to change your subscription to digest, go to the ONElist web site, at http://www.onelist.com and select the User Center link from the menu bar on the left.