  • From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 04:57:58 -0500

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Dennis Kramb wrote:

>  I saw GRIZZLED OLD WARRIOR listed in Pleasure Iris Gardens 1999 catalog.
>  Isn't that Sharon's cat?  :)  Now nice to know the big guy's been
>  immortalized in flower form.  Sharon, how's he doing, anyway?

Amazingly well for his age and all of the misadventures he's had.  Still
protects the baby quail from roadrunners.  Has no qualms about snitching a
choice tidbit out of the Great Pyrenees' pan or snuggling up next to her on
a cold night.

and Anner Whitehead added:

>  Sounds like that cat of writer Annie Dillard's that would come in after
>  night on the town and snuggle and leave bloody paw prints all over her.
>  Seriously primal stuff. Does this one have a red signal patch, she asked
>  sanguinely?

He's pretty much a homebody -- self-appointed guardian of small critters
rather than a hunter so doesn't come in with bloody paws.  Of course,
sometimes stray cats do get inside the fence and that's how he earned the
nickname.   He's come in a few times with a claw imbedded in his head, but
never a mark behind the shoulders --  so we know that no matter how bad he
looks the other guy got the worst of it.

So, no -- the flower doesn't have a red signal patch!  I've been breeding
for black beards and figured if I ever got one as dark as his fur I'd name
it for him.  This particular one not only has the beard --  just plain
black in the shade, with a hint of brownish red in the sun -- but also has
heavy veining like the lined face of an old Indian warrior.  So there's a
feature to tie to the name even if you don't know the cat!

Guess I need to take his picture beside his namesake....

Sharon McAllister