Re: Cult: Iris Bloom

  • Subject: Re: Cult: Iris Bloom
  • From: dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 12:24:28 -0500

From:	dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)

>Hi Dennis
>     I do not have any of the orange, yellow or white seeded (foet)
>but am in the market. I did get a variegated two years ago but it is slow to
>increase and has not bloomed yet so have no idea what color the seeds will be.
>     I was a speaker at our local Home and Garden Show this past week. It
>really is interesting to talk with people about the varieties of iris there
>really are. Most just see TBs and assume that's it folks.
>Rita B
>University Place, Wa

Dear Rita and Everyone Else Into Iris Foetidissima,

Out of sheer dumb luck I found a source of two types of Iris foet, that
sound unusual to me.  Here's the nurserywoman's description in her own

     The flower of the Iris foetidissima 'Variegata' looks very
     much the normal species flower [which is listed as purple in
     her catalog], but it has never set seed for us, or for anyone
     else that I know.  It may be sterile, but I don't know for
     sure. I'll ask around and see if any one else has experiene
     with this. The seeds of the I. foetidissima that I have are
     bright orange when they are fresh, and of course, left on the
     plant long enough they tend to turn more of a reddish-orange
     with age.

Now first of all, a purple Iris foetidissima sounds unique.  I thought they
were mostly shades of yellowish brown?  And also doesn't the bright orange
sound unique?  I've only seen pictures of seedpods and they sure seemed
fire-engine red to me.  Do they all start out bright orange and change to
red as they age?  Or is this actually the orange-seed variety I've been
looking for?????

Trying not to get over-excited here,

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, SLI, & Miami Valley Iris Society
(Check out my web page at http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html)