[iris talk] OT-PLANTS=WalMart Strikes Again

  • Subject: [iris talk] OT-PLANTS=WalMart Strikes Again
  • From: StorYlade@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 12:25:17 EST

From: StorYlade@aol.com

Hi All,

When I moved, I only had the time and energy to bring a select group of irises
and iris seedlings.  I also transplanted a few daylillies.  All of my other
perennials were left behind.  Last fall, I bought and planted a lot of
daffodils, tulips, and crocus at the end of one iris bed.

Such a beautiful day here.  I couldn't resist checking out the Walmart
packaged plant area.  I know!  Shame on me!  Actually, the sky was overcast
when I went in.  Maybe my good mood on finding a treasure trove in newly
arrived plants brought the sun!

The plants, which are usually displayed on the main promenade, were tucked out
of sight in a back corner.  There could be no accidental discoveries here.
You had to WANT to find them!  Since I'm half bull dog, it was no problem!
Ha! Ha! The plants looked fresh and most were in excellent shape.  I did pull
the bags out and shake the packing ingredient down so I could see the
condition of the plants.  I'm surprised I didn't get reported for plant
assault.  I exchanged a Sarah Bernhart Peony and two boxes of Hostas, since
they didn't please me!

For just under $40.00 I got:

	4 Peonies (Old standbys)
	6 Hostas (An older one with variegated leaves)
	3 Dahlias (dinner plate deco. in a color of my choice-red and orange)
	12 Cannas (6 are President and 6 a shorter red)
	15 gladiolas (yellow with red in the throat and down one petal)

I'm still on the lookout for the older yellow peony and 5 roses.  (Have
located them in mail-order catalogs.)

I've never grown Hostas.  They will be in the shade, at the base of trees,
commingled with red and white impatiens.  Do Hostas need special care of any
kind?  (I don't trust the box instructions.)

Betty in Bowling Green Kentucky where the sun is trying to shine despite
reports of impending rain.