Re: [iris talk] OT-PLANTS=WalMart Strikes Again

  • Subject: Re: [iris talk] OT-PLANTS=WalMart Strikes Again
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 19:59:26 -0700

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> Dear Betty,
>      The only problem I have had here with Hostas is that the snails
think
> that the variegated ones are delicious.

The snails homeless cousins, the slugs, have similar tastes and can be
somewhat of a nuisance. In our intense sunlight hostas must absolutely be
grown in full shade. Otherwise they are not too demanding, only requiring
adequate and regular watering, but no more so than most common perennials.
They have been absolutely hardy through the coldest winters without any
special protection.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com