Re: AIS: Bulletin Content

  • Subject: Re: AIS: Bulletin Content
  • From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 07:54:58 -0500

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

At 12:55 AM 2/7/99 -0600, you wrote:
>From: Diana Winship <mikesmom@ix.netcom.com>
>Anybody else have suggestions for specific listers to write about?
>In being part of the Dallas 2000 Convention, I would like to see
>articles about the conventions that have come & gone in regards to what
>went on behind the scenes.

I believe you are right on point here. The reason reportage of conventions
and board meetings is considered boring by the overwhelming majority of the
membership is that these articles (and I'm speaking here of all
organizations: Elks Clubs to ornithological societies), are written to
please board members and convention hosts.

If they were approached as journalism with a goal to informing the
membership on issues important to them - including floor discussions from
diverging points of view, should such occur, and written in inverted
pyramid style, they would be far more interesting. I'm not guaranteeing
that its a good idea for an editor to report on any controversies which
might come up involving the board which funds him, but it would be more

My newspaper has a policy banning all handshake, ribbon, cutting and ground
breaking photos - anything staged. Simple mug shots of principle people (in
our trade that's a head and shoulders photo - usually without numbers
underneath) is deemed sufficient.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
Persimmon Katz