OT: submissions policy, Re: AIS: Bulletin Content

  • Subject: OT: submissions policy, Re: AIS: Bulletin Content
  • From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 07:41:10 -0500

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

At 11:49 AM 2/6/99 -0800, you wrote:
>From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
>
>StorYlade@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> If you are sending multiple submissions of the same article, tell all
editors
>> involved that you are sending the article to others.  AIS does not/did not
>> want to be embarrassed by having the same article come out in another
>> publication simultaneously.
>

>I am feeling kind of dense today, why would AIS feel embarrassed? They
>certainly have a lot more to be more concerned about. Is there an AIS policy
>about submitting articles?
>
>John

More to the point, any copyrighted publication is publishing original or
exclusive material or material "reprinted by permission." One of the first
things a writer learns about editors is that they will not read or accept
material that is published elsewhere. If all writers were paid for their
work (as we should be, after all), this concept would be crystal clear. The
editor pays you for a story and he then reads it in a competitor's magazine?
The AIS Bulletin has to compete for advertisers just like a real pay for
print magazine, so this policy should be readily understandable.
Up until the 1960s, writers were taught to not even make multiple
submissions to publications.
When I was at the Iowa writers' workshop in the late 60s I shared a house
with poet Frank Polite, who had not only published in Poetry magazine and
all the little ones below that (no pay), but had also been in the big 3:
New Yorker, Atlantic and Harper's. Frank's trick was very simple, thanks to
new exciting technology called the Xerox machine - he sent his poems out to
everyone at once. When I asked what would happen if two magazines accepted
the same poem, he laughed and asked how many rejections vs. publications
does one get? It had never happened to him. I followed suit and began
sending sheafs of 10 poems or so to bursts of 20 magazines at once (4 cents
postage then), and by the time I had my MFA my publication list in the
little magazines helped me to get a college teaching job.
Even so, once a piece is accepted you no longer circulate it. Both
publication and author are protected by copyright by that time. Why muddy
the waters?

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net