Re: OT: HIPS Membership Services

  • Subject: Re: OT: HIPS Membership Services
  • From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 08:46:24 -0500

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

At 09:02 PM 1/13/99 EST, you wrote:
>From: HIPSource@aol.com
>
>In a message dated 1/13/99 6:09:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>hirundo@tricon.net writes:
>
><< 3. Coming from that, I've renewed twice with HIPS and never gotten
anything
> from them. First they sent my check back because it didn't have my name and
> address printed on it, then I sent them another $12, and haven't heard
> anything.  >>
>
>Mr. Brooks, you mentioned this situation in private e-correspondence with me
>some months ago and I suggested to you on July 30,1998 that if you had a
>canceled check for that twelve dollars you should write to the newly
appointed
>Membership Chairman at the address posted on the HIPS webpage and mention
that
>fact. If you have done so and have not received clarification please let me
>know and I will check into the matter personally. You should have received
two
>issues of ROOTS at this point. Without a cancelled check there is little we
>can do, of course.

Dear Ms. Whitehead:
Excuse me for taking so long to reply to this mail. Rather than searching
through my check registers and bank statements for this check I decided to
wait until I did all the posting for income tax time, and there it was:
April 17, 1998  HIPS, subj. Dues triennial: $12.00
The bank statement revealed it was cashed on May 7, 1998.
I have the kind of bank account that does not return checks. I can have a
copy sent, but it costs me money to do so. Is HIPS prepared to reimburse me
in order to see incontrovertible evidence that they messed up, or are you
willing to take my word, based on (if nothing else) that I would have
neither the motive nor the imagination to come up with such a tale for $12?
I'll carbon this to your treasurer.
Thank you,
James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN