OT: Old chemical recipes

  • Subject: OT: Old chemical recipes
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 13:23:20 PST

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Vince wrote:
>Regarding the stomach ailments suffered by hybridizers that were
>licking pollen, etc. - is it possible that they did not have a
>reaction to the oxalic acid in the pollen, but rather to something
>that was sprayed on to kill borers/prevent leaf spot/discourage weed

I've been reading some old iris books lately and came across some
amazing recipes, which I don't recommend people try.
1. WIlma Vallette:
To get rid of moles (actually it kills the worms and grubs in the lawn,
but ultimately has the same effect)
1lb. wettable 50% DDT, disolved in 4 gals of water.
Apply with a watering can.

2. The Iris, An Ideal Hardy Perennial (AIS publication 1947)
For Borer control:
3 gallons of water
6 level tablespoons 50% DDT wettable (I guess a tablespoon from the
kitchen drawer would do for this)
1 level tbsp dupont spreader stick
3 level tbsp fermate made into a paste.

There's nothing in these books about how to mix the stuff, but I guess
many an old gardener has just stuck his hand in, and given it a good old
Jan Clark
(I was going to put a smiley on the last comment, but on second
thoughts, it's probably true)