Re: OT: Old chemical recipes

  • Subject: Re: OT: Old chemical recipes
  • From: StorYlade@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 18:06:17 EST

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 2/7/1999 3:23:37 PM Central Standard Time,
janclarx@hotmail.com writes:

<< DDT wettable >>

I grew up on a farm in Arkansas.  My grandparents owned the farm before,
during, and after the great depression and both died of cancer.  My parents
who lived on the farm from 1939 on both died of cancer.  I don't remember the
year DDT was banned, but I know it was long after DDT sprays were used on the
farm for everything from mosquitoes and ants on up.  There were those in the
community that threw a fit when it was banned.  (DDT was seen as the salvation
of the post war farmer and made farming on a large scale possible.)

DDT is one of the things in the environment that all four of my ancestors had
in common.  It is only speculation that my own cancer can be traced to the
same thing.  One other environmental factor is tobacco.  Each of the five
either smoked, chewed, or grew tobacco.  Much of the earlier tobacco was
sprayed with DDT.  Will they ever have the answers?  Probably not.  At least
not in my life time.

Remnants of DDT may still remain in family barns and basements, lurking in old
rusty cans and sealed mason jars.

Betty in Kentucky