ADMIN: Courtesy

  • Subject: ADMIN: Courtesy
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 15:19:55 -0800

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

In the almost three years of Iris-L and iris-talk, I don’t think anyone has
ever been banned from the list, or for that matter temporarily suspended, put
on no-post, or on posting approval, all of which are available options.

I believe that is because we all understand that this is a widely divergent
group, that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that there are
appropriate ways to express those opinions without being offensive.

Attributing motives to someone unless you have personally heard them say that
is what they are doing, passing judgement on someone, or telling them they are
wrong is a good way to get on the wrong side of things. Basing your postings
on your own personal experience and expressing positive opinions is a winning

For the most part I would not arbitrarily move to ban someone from the list
based on a single privately made post regardless of whether it was made in
response to an iris-talk message or not. I would have to see a consistent
pattern of particularly egregious posts made privately to individuals before I
would ever consider such administrative action. Postings made to the list are
a different story, and I have little tolerance of inappropriate posts. Most
instances in the past have required only a gentle nudge, privately sent, to
solve the problem.

I believe that the best solution to a flame is exposure to the light of day.
If you get what you consider an obnoxious list related post, let me know,
privately, I will try to help. If I don’t know about it I cannot do anything
about it. Additionally, with this method there is a central compilation of any
and all incidents. Repeated abuse or patterns of behavior of individuals would
thus be readily evident to myself as the list owner and dealt with

It is also good to remember a few homilies that can serve us well – Sticks and
stones…. "If you don’t have anything nice to say…" and the rest of that sort.
I know, I know, very trite, but based on some good underlying wisdom.

If there is something to be gained from the recent exchange that precipitated
this message, I think it brings home the point that you need to give more than
a moments thought to what you post either to the list or privately, to be
considerate of others on the list and pay attention to the list policies.

An effective guideline would be: Anytime you feel the need to write a response
to a highly emotional topic or a topic of contentious issue(s) always put it
away for a day or so and rework it before you send it, as I did with this one.
You will be surprised at your difference of perspective and expression the
next day!

Generally, I think we have a great list with lots of great information moving
back and forth from a great group of people.

If you care to comment on this subject please post it to me privately at the
address below and not to the list.

Wishing you a great iris season

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at: