Re: German Irises

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve& Pat Johndro <johndros@ainop.com>
To: iris talk <iris-talk@onelist.com>
Date: Monday, February 08, 1999 5:49 AM
Subject: [iris-talk] German Irises

I have a quick question.  Are all tall bearded irises german irises?  In some books I notice they are decribed as german irises...some not.  I'm a bit confused and trying to learn everything possible. Thanks.  Pat in  Maine
Pat johndros@ainop.com Northern Maine ...Getting less patient for spring to arrive every day.
Not all irises are German or from Germany. German Iris refers to Iris bred from Iris germanica which is an iris species which is was used alot in the early stages of hybridizing the modern Tall Bearded Iris. Others that were used alot are Iris pallida, Iris mesopotamica, Iris trojana, and Iris aphylla.
I'm sure there are others that don't come to mind. If you're interested SIGNA and AIS have had very good articles on the development of the modern Tall Bearded Iris (TB).
Sidney Gardener
Albuquerque, NM, Zone 7