Re: [iris talk] OT-PLANTS=WalMart Strikes Again

  • Subject: Re: [iris talk] OT-PLANTS=WalMart Strikes Again
  • From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:26:52 -0500

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

Betty,

Hostas do not need any extra care.  Green-leaved ones can tolerate some sun
while blue-leaved ones definitely need shade.  You should also give them
lots of space.  My first hostas took about four years to grow to full size
-- about 3 or 4 feet in diameter.  They were totally neglected after they
were planted by the lilac, i.e., no watering or fertilizing.

The hostas you bought are probably the average sized ones -- like my first
hostas.  But you should be aware that hostas also come in miniature, dwarf
and giant sizes.  And a hosta addiction is more expensive than iris.

Maureen Mark
mailto:mmark@ottawa.com
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)