Re: [iris talk] OT-PLANTS=Hostas

  • Subject: Re: [iris talk] OT-PLANTS=Hostas
  • From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:17:11 -0500

From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>

Betty In Ky wrote;

> From: StorYlade@aol.com
>
> Dennis, are you saying that those irises will tolerate the shade under
the
> trees and still bloom? Or are you saying they bloom after the TB's?  OR
all of
> the above?  (Questions from the species handicapped!) I've only seen a
few
> grown or exhibited in Region 7.  Doesn't mean they aren't out there.
I've
> just never seen them.
>
> Betty in KY

I have cristata growing around the base of three pine trees. The trees have
no limbs 15' from ground. They are about 2' wide around each tree and doing
fine.

Last August  I potted up Three dwarf hosta to donate for door prizes at our
club meeting. I mulched around the top of the pot with alfalfa. By October
the had 15 to 20 new leaves. A lot better than the mothet clump. Might be
worth a try.

Michael D. Greenfield
redear@infinet.com
Zone5b