CULT: the rollercoaster

  • Subject: CULT: the rollercoaster
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 06:46:07 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Linda Doffek, West Bend, WI  Zone 5 wrote:
(home of the famous rollercoaster freeze-thaw that
> these
> irises love so much <wry grin>...we're going up to the 50s Tuesday and
> Wednesday and down to the teens by the weekend.)

Aw, c'mon Linda D, that's no rollercoaster, or is just a baby coaster.
We've been setting near record highs for this time of year all week
(mostly 60s and 70s) and are also going to the teens by Sat night.

A chance to collect more data!  BLUE RHYTHM and VIOLET HARMONY are lush
with new growth.  They made it unscathed thru the previous two sudden
dips, but are so much bigger now, I will be surprised if they take this
next hit without damage.

I took some soil temperature measurements Sunday afternoon, comparing
temeratures under weed canopy (mostly henbit about 4 to 6 inches thick)
and bare soil, in hilled ridges in the open, and comparing gravelly soil
to soil with less gravel.

The gravel soil was the same temperature whether it had shade from weeds
or not, whether it was in a tilled ridge or between rows.  55oF.

The soil under the weed canopy was about 5oF cooler and was maybe 1 or
2oF cooler between rows than on top of the rows.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
in spite of reaching the low 70s during the day, it's still frosting at
night, so maybe these plants will be a little less shocked by the
weekend freeze than they were the last two times.