Re: OT: PLANTS - Hostas

  • Subject: Re: OT: PLANTS - Hostas
  • From: "BOB & LESLIE LIDDIARD" <liddiard@esn.net>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:56:53 -0500

Betty in KY:

Thought I might throw in my 2 cents regarding hostas.  I live in eastern North Carolina and inherited a lot of variegated hostas when we purchased our new home in 1997.

These plants are alive and growing well on the east, south, and west sides of my house.  Only the ones on the west side have even a small amount of shade.  The remainder are in full sun nearly all day.  They have flourished and bloomed with only a small amount of care and have only received water during long dry spells.

Too bad you weren't on the list last fall as I was trying to give them away.  They have almost taken over the beds that they are in.  I got no takers on the list and had to settle for shoving more off on friends and sent some to family in California.

My understanding is that the variegated hosta will tolerate sun, however, the more solid greens and especially the blues tend to require more shade.  Most all of the varieties are somewhat insect resistant.  I've personally only seen very minor damage on mine and chose to do nothing to control it.

I wish you lots of luck with them.  Personally I'd like to rip them all out to make more room for my iris.  They just multiply to quickly in my area.  Hubby says we need a "little" variety.  He doesn't realize how many were cleaned out last fall <g>.  But, still have more than I want or need.

Thanks,

Leslie Liddiard
Goldsboro, NC
AIS  Zone 8