CULT: Mulch

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 2/8/1999 10:32:38 PM Central Standard Time,
redear@infinet.com writes:

Michael D. Greenfield wrote:

<< I mulched around the top of the pot with alfalfa. >>  (hosta)

Betty from Bowling Green writes:

I know this has been discussed on the list before.  I've spot checked the
archives thru the last 100 (out of 600+) occurrences of 'mulch' (most
mentioned 'white' mulch) and didn't find answers to my questions.  For those
that have been down this road too many times--hit delete.
	Having said ALL that, I would like to hear your personal opinions and
experiences on all types of mulching practices.  If you feel this topic has
been done to death, send off line as time and interest permit.  (Think I have
enough qualifiers in there?)  Otherwise, we may all enjoy the discussion.

My contribution:

When I had a larger area, I didn't have time, energy, or resources to mulch,
but now I have a small area and things are different.

Several iris growers in Region 7 have started planting/growing their irises
thru landscape fabric.  I've used it here and, so far, everything looks
great--no heaving or rot.

I'm aware of the use of alfalfa pellets with iris--judges training with
Clarence M., etc.  However, I've not read much about it in the last couple of
years.

The general consensus has been that any type of mulch should be removed about
the time new growth begins in the spring.  My questions are:

1)	Do any of you use landscape fabric?  Obviously, this is a permanent mulch,
but the way it's made air and water filter through.  What have been the
results?
(The manufacturer recommends that another mulch--preferably large bark-be
placed over the landscape fabric.)

2)	Has anyone tried mulching with alfalfa pellets, etc.?  With what results?

3)	Any current users of cedar bark chips, or other cedar products?  Results?

Thank you in advance.

BTW. While in the archives, I ran across a story about someone importing ants
to carry out the work of cultivating their irises!  Innovative!  Way to go!

Betty from Bowling Green KY