Re: CULT: Mulch

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Mulch
  • From: RYFigge@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:40:22 EST

From: RYFigge@aol.com

Betty of Bowling Green wrote (but she didn't give  her last name, email
address
 and other such info that may seem  boring and unnecessary to write but which
is apprexciated by  those who do not constantly answer except privately --
nowthe rest of you are doomed to my reading my answer or using the delete
button
      << of alfalfa pellets with iris--judges training with
 Clarence M., etc.  However, I've not read much about it in the last couple of
 years.   >>
l.  probably because everyone uses alfalfa bits allready
2,  No, I don't use it for mulch it doesn't last on the surface that long and
it looks  messy-ugh!  Usually I try to till it in when making a new bed and
then add it when working around the irises.
3.  Yes - I have and do use weedcloth - I forget the name,but that which  is
really the best - and expensive - but some feel that it gives mice/voles a
comfy place to set up housekeeping, especially in cold weather.  Also I no
longer use it to plant irises in a cut out hole because the increases either
come up thru it or are hampered -- also some weeds manage to come thru,
especially crabgrass -- or else their seeds get scattered on top and managed
to go down thru it, and then they are impossible to pull up -- so now, I use
it  between aisles of irises, have soaker hoses on top and then use hardwood
chips (not the decorative big ones nor the  more pulverised) to make it look
prettier  but being sure that the mulch does not stay on the bearded in the
spring if  it has been washed over by  whatever precip we have had.
4.  Now I don't remember what else you asked about because I took time out to
watch JEOPARDY and this is long enough.  But let me say that alfalfa bits is
the BEST for irises IMHO - I first read about it in the MEDIANITE - something
Terry Aiken had written - and it comes the closest to producing irises like
the west coast hybridizers!  - I think Terry uses it by the tons - I by the
40, or is it 50 lb bags.   But remember you want  the alfalfabits for horses,
not rabbit food.  There is a difference in the formula and the manufacturer
(when I phoned for info) said that the horse kind was better for my use.   Any
farm supply store should have it, especiallyh in horse country.
Now it is time for me to eat dinner and watch WHEEL of FORTUNE .  The only 2
TV shows  I really like -  Rosalie nr Baltimore    zone 7     ryfigge@aol.com