Re: REF: Old Books

  • Subject: Re: REF: Old Books
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:19:45 -0700

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: John I Jones
> Joanne and I are going to go wander around the California Antiquarian
Book
> Fair this weekend and I wondered if any of you have some suggestions of
titles
> or authors of iris books to watch look for.

John,

If you have a mind to begin assembling a collection of older iris books, I
would put 'Rainbow Fragments' by J. Marion Shull (1931) in the "must have"
category. Shull was a professional illustrator and had a keen eye for
detail; he includes meticulous descriptions of nearly all the important TB
cultivars and species from the first quarter of the century. If you locate
a copy, make sure the color plates at the beginning of the text are intact.

Also of interest are
    'The Iris' by John C. Wister (1930). Wister was first President of the
AIS and had some very decided opinions to express; he includes a version of
the infamous "Black List" as an appendix in this book.

    'Iris for Every Garden' by Prof. Sydney B. Mitchell with line drawings
by Tom Craig and color plates (1949, 2nd ed. 1960). A good general purpose
introduction to the iris worldview at mid-century.

Undoubtedly there are others that might be mentioned, but these three are
common enough that there is a fairly good chance you might encounter them.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com