SPEC: I. germanica

  • Subject: SPEC: I. germanica
  • From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:21:57 -0500

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Linda Mann wrote:

>  PIONEER isn't one of the varieties with chromosome counts on Mike's web
>  page - are there others?

>  Yesm, we want more.  More counts & "germanica" ancestors that is.

I can't imagine that I have any counts Mike doesn't, but some may have been
published since the appendix to GARDEN IRISES.  The tetraploid conversion
was complete by then.  Offspring of two tetraploids, whether involving
originally collected clones or  advanced-generation hybrids, can be assumed
tetraploid so counts weren't needed for later generations.

Mike Lowe wrote:

>  However, notice that the pollen parent of Pioneer is questionable.
>                         |Cordelia (Parker 1873)
>  Bliss sdlg Pioneer pollen parent
>                         |                    |I. germanica (Linnaeus
>                         |                    |
>                         |Paladin? (Bliss 19)
>                                              |Macrantha (Van Waveren 07)

Yes.  That's a piece of the puzzle I haven't been able to find.  Who added
the question mark, when & why?  If Bliss noted it as quesitonable, that's
one thing.  If it was added by a later commentator who wasn't familiar with
wide crosses, that's something else entirely.

Bruce wrote:

>  Re:  PIONEER, I. germanica, etc.:

>  I'd like to hear more, too, if you feel like providing it!

So much has been published on this subject that it's hard for those of us
who've studied it to know where to start.  I'm sure it's equally hard for
those encountering it for the first time to know what questions to ask.
I'll try to start at the beginning and break it down into separate, short
subjects -- and count on those who are interested to chime in with
questions.  Who knows?  This MIGHT even turn into a Bulletin article.....
Sharon McAllister