SPEC: I. germanica

  • Subject: SPEC: I. germanica
  • From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:08:05 -0500

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Here's an example of tracing important breeders back to their origins.

BLACK FOREST was a key contributor to the gene pool of modern blacks, so
there was incentive to trace its origin.  It came from ETHIOP QUEEN X
DYMIA.  I did not find chromosome counts for either of them, and found
nothing eye-catching in the background of ETHIOP QUEEN except the
ubiquitous BLACK PRINCE.  [Lots in the lists' archives on that one....]

DYMIA, however, is another matter.  It was from HARMONY X CRUSADER and
Randolph counted it as having 46 chromosomes. I found no count for
CRUSADER, but it came from I. cypriana.  I found neither pedigree nor
chromosome count for HARMONY, but it was classified as an IB in the '39 CL
-- which was the code used for I. germanica hybrids.  Offspring of a cross
between a 44-chromosome germanica amphidiploid or amphidiploidlike hybrid
and a 48-chromosome tetraploid normally have 46 chromosomes.

Of course this doesn't prove that BLACK FOREST had a germanica grandparent
-- it's just my best theory as to its origin.  Proof would require not just
a chromosome count but an assessment of chromosome morphology and detection
of the presence of some germanica marker.

Most of the examples I found of possible contributions of I. germanica or
GERMANICA to the modern gene pool are of this type.  If the reasons aren't
obvious, don't worry -- this is something like coming in on the second act
of a play. It should make more sense after we've backtracked to cover the
foundation species and looked at some of the proven paths through the
tetraploid conversion.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com