Re: Display garden ideas help

  • Subject: Re: Display garden ideas help
  • From: "Martha Brown" <mbrown@pldi.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:03:30 -0600

From: "Martha Brown" <mbrown@pldi.net>

Thanks to: Christy Hensler, Ellen Gallagher, Michael Greenfield, Janice
Stocks, Bruce Filardi, Betty from Bowling Green, Rosalie Figge, Ray & Judy
Keisling, John I. Jones, Randy C. Meuir, Glenn & Linda Simmons, Linda Mann,
and Celia Storey for the input and encouragement on my garden and the list.

I'm sorry I haven't posted sooner to thank everyone for the help but I own
and operate a Bookkeeping and Tax Service and it got really hectic for a
while with about 14 hr days.  I also took a couple of days off to attend  a
Horticulture Magazine / Denver Botanic Garden sponsored Symposia on
landscaping (which contributed to the 14 hr days when I got home).

The garden isn't a convention garden but a personal garden that will be on
at least two local fundraising garden tours each year.  It also will be
visited by a lot of people year around as I host at least two church
socials in the gardens each year. Since my business and our home and my
husband's mechanic shop all are on an acreage outside of town, all my
clients and his at the shop are welcome to and do visit the gardens while
waiting.  So although not a convention garden it may have as many visitors
as a convention garden but by people who are only interested in Iris for
home landscape purposes.  This is why I want to show them to advantage.
The northwest area of the state of Oklahoma also has the reputation of not
being able to have nice gardens due to soil and climate conditions.  I plan
to change that idea and wipe the smirk off the face of the OBGA director at
OSU.  But the main purpose of the gardens will be personal pleasure and cut
flowers for myself and my church.   Rebloom and fragrance will be

I have decided on several joining areas of 60 by 60 feet enclosed by hedges
developed over time.  The hedges will be on  60 foot centers with 4 feet
allowed for the hedge on the inside (there will be a row of annuals for
cutting next to the walk)  then a 4 foot walkway (8 feet from hedge to main
beds).  This leaves a square 44X44 feet which will be divided by paths
through the center both vertically and horizontally as you look at the
plan.  Then it will further be divided by paths diagonally from corner to
corner.  This will make 8 triangular beds of approximately 144 square feet.
 I will have access paths of stepping stones for maintenance through the
beds.  I probably will have a birdbath, fountain or some other water
feature in the center where the paths join.  I am also considering some
arbors with benches planted with fragrant climbing roses and vines.  That
would provide shade and seating for visitors and more importantly me!

I am still deciding on the exact composition of the beds.  I haven't
decided if I want to devote an entire bed to Iris or mix with other
perennials, roses and shrubs to display their use in a home landscape type
setting.  Since all I plan to put in this year is the hedges and paths and
start amending the soil I have a little time to decide the rest. If I
decide to devote an entire bed to Iris I am planning on placing the Iris on
24 inch centers which will be under-planted with Portulaca (moss rose) to
cover the ground and prevent my sand from blowing (seed is cheap doesn't
have to have much water and reseeds itself).  This will also give some
color after the Iris have slowed down.

Further comments or input would be more than welcome.

Thanks again,
M Brown
NW Oklahoma, USA
USDA Zone 6b,  Sunset Zone 35
I encourage all new Iris addicts to join Iris Societies to learn more about
Member since Oct 1998: North Central Iris Society, Sooner State Iris
Society,  AIS,  Region 22, Median, Siberian, Spuria, Japanese, Reblooming,
Dwarf, Aril and sent check which hasn't been cashed to Louisiana in Oct. it
must have been lost in the mail ???