Re: OT:Rebloomers

  • Subject: Re: OT:Rebloomers
  • From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:34:52 -0500

From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>

Hmmmm....I like that term "philistine" in regards to rebloomers.

I like the  "idea" of rebloomers, but I live near Mike.  For the most part,
if we do not have an early spring, preceded by a mild winter, rebloom
does not occur until late October or early November.  Most of our
rebloom here is more like "stalksicles", because the frost gets the
stalk just about the time they think about showing color.  The rebloom
stalks, particularly the TB ones, are usually short and sparse, with buds
crowded together.  Don't get me wrong, there are exceptions to the rule,
Every now and then we get early rebloom, and well formed stalks.
This is particularly so with Earl Hall and Lloyd Zurbrigg's  intros.

We just fail to get the same show as you folks in zones 6-9.  Maybe
after a few more generations of  rebloom  hybridizing we will have
some that rebloom early enough for us in the colder areas to enjoy.

John Bruce   jbruce@infinet.com
President, Miami Valley Iris Society
AIS Region 6 - SSI - HIPS
SW OH Zone 5 / Sunset Zone 35