AIS: Bulletin Content - Judges (Long)

  • Subject: AIS: Bulletin Content - Judges (Long)
  • From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:15:42 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

Missing from the January issue of the Bulletin was the usual listing
of the Approved AIS Judges for 1999.  No statement was printed giving
any reason for its omission.  I don't know if this is a permanent cut
or a temporary omission or an oversight.  I just discovered that it
is missing, and I need it.

I had not noticed this until today when our show chairman called to
relate that three judges we thought we had confirmed earlier to judge
our show on April 24, 1999, are not available.  The show chairman
asked for my help in securing replacements.

Since our region is small in numbers and the shows in the region are
on the same date, we usually have to get our judges outside of the
region (Region 7 or 22), whose shows are a week or two later.  I
turned to the Bulletin to see who might be available.  No list!
Then, I got the January 1998 Bulletin to get some names.  The first
call I made revealed that this judge had retired, so my problem was
not easily solved.  More telephone calls are in the future, and I am
using a roster that is outdated.

There have been discussions on iris talk about things in the Bulletin
that have little interest to the general readership.  I don't think
the judges' roster (or the minutes for that matter) is an item to cut
since we need to know who the judges are in the various regions,
particurlarly nearby, so  we can borrow if the need arises.

May I make a suggestion as to what to cut in order to save the
judges'roster?  I would cut the AIS Artistic Shows winners' list,
which would free three pages for the judges, about half of what is
needed.  Why?  I believe this list has  less impact on the
readership because it affects fewer readers.  Also, the shows I have
been associated with have had a majority of arrangers to come from
federated garden clubs whose members are not affiliated with the
local iris society or members of AIS.  And, the judges for the
arrangements have also come from the garden clubs.

Do we need to list the names of all these winners who are not members
of AIS and cut the list of judges?  I feel the winners of the design
section of the show can be mentioned in the newsletters of the garden
clubs they represent and not the AIS bulletin, thus freeing up space.

I hope my personal beliefs on this matter are accepted as
constructive criticism as that has been my intent in making this

What do you think?

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS 7/8