REF: Old Books

  • Subject: REF: Old Books
  • From: HIPSource@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:18:04 EST

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 2/11/99 4:18:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
foxbrook@javanet.com writes:

<< If you travel at all and want to know where the old bookstores are in any
state in the U.S. you can find out from ABAA-booknet.com.(Antiquarian
Booksellers Association of America) In addition to 330 dealers on line they
also list dealers addresses by state.>>

ABAA members, or associates if you will, for one must be invited to join, are
only one small portion of the used book communtity. Many fine booksellers are
not members. My experience is that they represent the higher end of the
market. If I was into fine bindings, or rare works, or needed a good deal of
expertise on a subject, or was planning a purchase that would qualify as an
investment, I'd certainly seek out an ABAA  member, but for basic old book
purchases, given the choice I typically prefer to do without the gloss and
save the twenty percent.

<< Some of my best finds and prices have been in the "out of the way shop". >>

Yep. You betcha. Many booksellers out there, all kinds, all places. Many
bargains, too. Best bargains not invariably found in the shops of the most
knowledgeable people.

Anner Whitehead