Re: TB:MED:HIST: Naming the "Grapes"

  • Subject: Re: TB:MED:HIST: Naming the "Grapes"
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:45:06 -0700

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Jansiris@aol.com
> Oh yes, anyone who can advise as to iris that smell like grapes? I know
> about Feedback, I. Padillia, Maumille(?) and Grape Accent. If there are
> any others, please let me know.

I presume that by "I. Padillia", you intended I. pallida. My question is,
are there any of the commonly grown forms of this species that can be
characterized as having the scent of grapes? In the 1939 AIS Checklist
(where "Grape" was one of the descriptions of scent employed) the following
were the designations given to the scent of pallidas:
     I. pallida (species) - scent not characterized
     DALMATICA - violet
     PRINCESS BEATRICE - sweet violet
     ODORATISSIMA - strong sweet

The only one of these I grow is PALLIDA VARIEGATA, and I would agree with
the characterization of its scent as "sweet".