REB - west coast

  • Subject: REB - west coast
  • From: "Mike Sutton" <suttons@lightspeed.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:36:56 -0800

Ok all you biased people! :-)  We have had reports from all over the world (including Siberia) of our iris reblooming.  Not just the first year but in successive years, so the rebloom wasn't set in our garden.  From zone 3 to zone 10.  These are our own intros and rebloomers from our stock gardens.  In fact one of our 96 intros won best specimen of show (Janurary Bulletin pg. 51)  GOLDEN IMMORTAL exhibited by Ginny Spoon.  This was a fall reblooming show in Beltsville MD. Region 4.  I know that this was the second year they had GOLDEN IMMORTAL so it wasn't rebloom set in our climate.  One of the coolest pictures a customer has ever sent us was one of HONEY SCOOP in the fall with a light dusting of snow on it.  The scoops had held up and looked like little teaspoons full of sugar!  My point is this, I am tenderly approaching this idea of west coast rebloomers as something akin to "all IBs are infertile".  It is true that we experience more rebloom because of our long growing season, however based on THOUSANDS of customer reports our plants rebloom as expected for a particular cultivar in a particular climate.  Besides this year we have had a more severe climate then most of you <G>.  OK maybe not you Kathy G.
Respectfully
Mike Sutton