Re: REB - west coast

  • Subject: Re: REB - west coast
  • From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:11:19 -0500

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

Way to go Mike.

Genetics will overcome environment any day.  Look at all the studies of
twins who have grown up in different environments.

Linda Mann's exploration into the heritage of some of the irises that do
well in zone 5 will take us a long way to understanding what irises will do
well where.

However, for beginners, it is less disheartening to begin by buying plants
from local sources.  These are proven and you don't have to do research into
their lineage to determine if they might do well for you.  Some seasoned
irisarians still have problems with losing really nice irises -- but at
least we're used to it (some of us even plan for it).

Maureen Mark
mailto:mmark@ottawa.com
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)