CULT: HYB: reminder - protect those outdoor seeds on the rollercoaster

  • Subject: CULT: HYB: reminder - protect those outdoor seeds on the rollercoaster
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:57:38 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

With such a long warm spell as we've just been through, it's hard to
know what stage seeds planted outdoors are in.  Some may be already
germinating & others may not be showing above ground yet, but may be
seriously thinking about germinating.  So be sure and either bring them
indoors, like Lloyd Zurbrigg says he does with his, or bury them under
something to insulate from the cold.  I will pile a bunch of water
filled cola bottles on top of and around the tubs of seeds, then cover
that with a double layer of Reemay.

Is this coddling?  Well, maybe....but I figure germination rollercoaster
freeze tolerance isn't anywhere near as important as grown up tolerance.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA - upper 70s yesterday, 32 this morning &
dropping to ? 20s?  teens? tonight and tomorrow night.  Hooray!  More
data!  Stay tuned for more reports on the moribund.