HYB: ASI Pollen Bank

  • Subject: HYB: ASI Pollen Bank
  • From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:36:23 -0500

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Dennis Kramb wrote:

>How does the Aril Society pollen bank work?  I tried growing two oncos but
>they both died of rot this winter.  I'd like to get some aril pollen so
>that I can cross with my rebloomer TBs and MDBs and get 1/2-breds.

I don't know how it works now.  When I took part, the primary goal was
preservation of species.  By matching people who grew different clones of
the same species, it was possible to expand the gene pool.  As I recall,
the division of seeds was typically 1/3 to the one who set the pod, 1/3 to
the one who sent the pollen, and 1/3 to the ASI seed bank.

To get first-generation halfbreds, you'd have to find someone with a
surplus of tetraploid aril pollen -- and I can't make any suggestions on
that point.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com