OT: Roman Numerals

  • Subject: OT: Roman Numerals
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:39:53 -0700

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

Virginia Prinns wrote:
> >I have this book, published in  mcml.  Can't count in latin - for those
> >who can.
and James Brooks replied:
> 1901, same date your computer may read a year from now!

James,

Since Ginny wrote the number in lower case letters, the last letter is an
"L", not an "I", and the date should be read as M=1000 + C=100 (subtracted
from) M=1000 + L=50 or "1950", which agrees with the date given for the
publication of the book in question in other postings to this list.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com