Re: OT:Rebloomers

  • Subject: Re: OT:Rebloomers
  • From: "Patricia R. Wenham" <prw@televar.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 09:46:49 -0500

From: "Patricia R. Wenham" <prw@televar.com>

 The soil and weather conditions are worlds apart. I
> don't really know where she lives but I estimate we live about 200 miles
> apart.

Yes, I live about 215 miles from you, Rita.  I live in Cashmere, WA
(home of Aplets & Cotlets Factory) at the base of Blewett Pass.  My soil
is alkaloid and there ar areas where the soil is covered with white
residue and things just refuse to grow without tons of compost, topsoil
and sulfur being added.  Our climate and lack of the usual number of
sunlight hours (due to mountains both east and west of us) seems to keep
the rebloomers from reblooming although the USDA zone says they should.
There are so many factors that affect reblooming that it might be
interesting to know more about soils and daylight/sun hours for the
plants that do rebloom.  This is my first year in this spot as I lived
107 miles away from here, but under the same conditions, prior to this.
I will try to keep some good records on my rebloomers in this spot and
see if I have similar results.  I consider the plant's other features
more than the reblooming factor when I purchase it.  If it will really
rebloom for me I feel I have gotten a bonus.  I have found it is futile
to expect rebloom even if they rebloomed like crazy for others in zone
5.  I am apparently on the high end of zone 5.  I am ever hopeful though
and I do subscribe to the Reblooming society as well as AIS and just
about every one of the affiliates.  I feel there is always something to
learn from each of them and I have not been disappointed.

USDA zone 5/6
Central WA State.