HYB: Coddling Seedlings

  • Subject: HYB: Coddling Seedlings
  • From: Lbaumunk@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:13:15 EST

From: Lbaumunk@aol.com

I'm a big believer in coddling seedlings.  I sometimes read hybridizers saying
that they treat seedlings roughly, and that if they die, all the better
because that cultivar wouldn't be sufficiently hardy.

There are many things that can kill an iris.  If a new seedling dies, we will
never have a chance to truly determine its worth.  I'm sure that the effort of
doing every thing possible to keep seedlings will pay off with some good
cultivars that might not otherwise have survived.

It's easy to "test" your plants by neglecting them; not so easy to facilitate
each one achieving its potential by working to grow them as well as possible.

Lowell Baumunk
Danfordiae and Reticulatas lovely today.  65 degrees!