Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings
  • From: StorYlade@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:47:30 EST

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 2/13/1999 10:14:02 PM Central Standard Time,
HIPSource@aol.com writes:

<< The assumption that a 'weak' seedling will invariably produce a 'weak'
mature
 plant strikes me as too pat. Infant plants must be more vulnerable to
extremes
 of temperature, or moisture or whatever than the mature plant simply because
 of their age and size. >>

Because I've been interested in strength and survival from the beginning, I
developed a habit of planting my seedling in a certain order in the rows.  I
begin with the strongest plant in the beginning (marker end) of the row and
progress on down until I have the weaker, smaller (what ever) at the end of
the row.  This way I can tell if the strongest remain stronger and if the weak
remain weaker.

On the occasions when I have been unable to plant out the seedlings in the
year they were sprouted, they winter over in the pots.  Those initial strong
ones remain strong and survive, while many of the small and weaker appearing
seedlings succumb to weather vagaries.  I do not cover them back up in these
instances.

This deals with strength only and not with the most beautiful.  Beauty seems
to be a mixed bag of tricks and can happen anywhere.  It's great when it all
comes together in one plant, but that is rare.

Any exceptions seems to be in the line of an apparent strong seedling melting
away, rather than a week seedling suddenly surging forth with unexpected
strength.

Newly planted seedlings of any size should always be nurtured until they have
firmly taken hold.  That would be expecting way too much of a mere plant.
Would we expect newly transplanted veggies to survive those conditions?  In
this area, the iris seedlings need to be well on their way before extreme heat
hits, usually by June 1.

My experience.

Betty Wilkerson from Bowling Green, KY . . . Brrrrrrrrr.