Re: CULT: I.nelsonii

  • Subject: Re: CULT: I.nelsonii
  • From: HIPSource@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:31:47 EST

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 2/14/99 8:52:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, hensler@povn.com
writes:

<<  Does anyone know if I.nelsonii seeds need stratification?>>

My experience has been that they do not, but, like other swamp irises or
Sibericae, they profit from being soaked for several days in several changes
of water and then being surface sown on moist medium and exposed to light and
warm temperatures. A pot of vermiculite covered with saran and placed in a
sunny room worked fine for me.

Not surprisingly, irises which did not get much frost in their native habitat
typically do not require much frost to germinate. The jury is out on whether
this changes in individual plants acclimated to other growing conditions.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com