1999 Price List

  • Subject: 1999 Price List
  • From: Lbaumunk@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:37:48 EST

From: Lbaumunk@aol.com

IRIS COLORADO- Lowell Baumunk

1999 INTRODUCTIONS

MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM
Reblooming Intermediate.  Seedling 92BBWA-7.  Very smooth iridescent dark
purple, reminiscent of its grandparent TITAN’S GLORY.  Modern form.  19”.
MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM is the best performer among our large collection of
rebloomers.  Rebloom begins in July and continues until frost here in
Colorado.  Rebloom reports have been received from all quadrants of the US
Vigorous plants with lots of increase.  Some fertility.  High Commendation
Award 1998.  (BEST BET X WHAT AGAIN)  $20.

KIT FOX
Standard Dwarf.  Seedling 94SCJm-1.  Rich chocolate mahogany pumila spot
nearly covers the falls.  Snow white standards with a light touch of sunshine
yellow on the ribs, giving the effect of a dramatic brown amoena.  12”.  The
one you notice from across the garden.
(SASS WITH CLASS X JAZZAMATAZZ)  $15.

Lowell Baumunk
10918 N. Sunshine Dr.
Littleton, CO 80125
(303) 791-0456
Lbaumunk@aol.com

TALL BEARDED IRIS
The ultimate expression of the hybridizer’s art.

$10 About Town (Blyth 96)  Silvery mauve and red violet bicolor.  Big and
dramatic.
$5   After The Dawn (Ernst 95)  Lavender standards, yellow falls. Unusual.
$4   All Heart (Hager 92)  White with red beards.  Wide form.
$4   All Together (Gatty 92)  Yellow and white.  Great form.
$4   Amadora (Nichol 92)  Mid blue amoena.  From England.
$8   Answered Prayers (Keppel 95)  Pink plicata derivative.  Absolutely no
lines or marks.
$4   Artist’s Whim (O. Brown 89)  Big salmon and buff bicolor.  Late season.
$4   Beverly Sills (Hager 78)  Most popular pink.  Dykes Medal winner.
$8   Black Falls (Nebeker 96)  Very dark neglecta.
$10 Blonde Bombshell (Ghio 97)  Spectacular warm pastel blend.
$4   Boogie Woogie (Nichols 93)  Purple amoena.  Jazzy pattern on falls.
$10 Boudoir (Ghio 97)  Wide ruffled pink and lavender.
$10 Bye Bye Blues (Sutton 97)  Big ruffled light blue with horns.
$4   Cafe Society (Ghio 85)  Golden tan.  Distinctive color.
$5   Caracas (Ghio 91)  Our favorite orange iris.
$5   Celebration Song (Schreiner 93)   Well branched pink, white, lavender.
Best of Show, 	Denver 1997.
$4   Champagne Wishes (Keppel 92)  Smooth coral.
$10 Chinese New Year (Ghio 97)  Maroon and buff bicolor.
$4   Chocolate Vanilla (Blyth 91)  Brown amoena.  Early bloomer.
$4   Classmate (Keppel 91)  Light orange “glaciata” (no haft marks).
$10 Color Me Blue (Schreiner 97)  Another great blue iris from Schreiners.
$8   Commandante (Ghio 95)  Coppery brown.  Wide and ruffled.
$4   Cote D’Or (Schreiner 91)  Big rounded yellow with orange beards.
$5   Cross Current (Keppel 95)  Neglecta from plicata lines.
$10 Crowned Heads (Keppel 96)  High contrast purple reverse amoena.  Very
popular.
$8   Crystal Morn (Shockey 95)  Delicate pastel blend.
$4   Dance Away (Hamblen 88)  Lovely red violet to white blend.  Nothing else
like it.
$10 Day Glow (Keppel 97)  Pinkish orange with red beards.
$4   Deltaplane (Cayeux 93)  Blue amoena with horizontal falls.
$10 Desert’s Rage (D. Miller 97)  Sandy gray brown blend.
$4   Dusky Challenger (Schreiner 86)  Spectacular large glowing purple.  A
most popular 	Dykes Medal winner.
$4   Edith Wolford (Hager 86)  Yellow standards, blue falls.  Ruffled.  Dykes
Medal.
$4   Electrique (Blyth 93)  Bright red violet bitone.  From Australia.
$10 Engaging (Ghio 97)  Reddish purple with silvery sheen.  Brick beards.
$4   Extravagant (Hamblen 83)  Ruffled amethyst violet.  Late season bloomer.
$8   Feature Attraction  (Schreiner 94)  Well branched lacy lavender.
$4   Festive Mood (Schreiner 93)  Buff pink and magenta bicolor.
$8   Foreign Knight (Blyth 96)  Oyster white and reddish rose bicolor.
$4   Frosting (Gatty 93)  Well branched pink pastel blend.  Pretty.
$8   Glory Be (Hamblen 95)  Tan standards, yellow falls, brick red beards.
$4   Goldkist (Black 93)  White with purple and gold marking in throat.
$8   Good Looking (Schreiner 95)  Smooth well formed medium grape purple.
$10 Good Vibrations (Schreiner 97) Ruffled tangerine and white.  Making great
first 	impressions.
$5   Gypsy Romance (Schreiner 94) Bright mulberry.
$5   Hello Darkness (Schreiner 92)  Very dark. Great form and branching.  A
top Dykes 	candidate.
$4   High Drama (Gatty 91)  Wide variegata with smooth dark brown falls.
$5   Hot Chocolate (Ghio 95)  Brown and bright yellow plicata.
$4   Hot Line (Schreiner 81)  Distinctive patterned brown and red.
$4   In Person (Hager 91)  Big pink.
$4   In Reverse (Gatty 93)  Excellent reverse purple amoena.
$4   Indigo Princess (Schreiner 92)  Big well branched vigorous purple.
$4   Island Dancer (Shoop 91)  Bright gold and brown bicolor.  Red beards.
$5   Jazzed Up (Schreiner 94)  Huge vigorous orchid lavender amoena.
$4   Jesse’s Song (B. Williamson 83)  Purple and white plicata.  Dykes Medal
winner.
$4   Jeweled Ivory (Hamblen 89)  Delicate cream and tan blend.  Very pretty
$4   Love Blush (Shockey 91)  Peach, pink and white blend.
$4   Magic Wish (Hager 90)  Blue bearded pink to orchid pink.
$5   Managua  (Ghio 94)  Vigorous reddish orange.
$5   Maple Treat (O. Brown 95)  Rich brown with gold beards.
$4   Mary Frances (Gaulter 73)  Classic well branched lavender.  A popular
Dykes winner.
$8   Master Plan (Keppel 95)  Big vigorous rose and ivory plicata.
$4   Memory Song  (O. Brown 89)  Tomato soup pink.
$4   Mogul (Ghio 92)  Violet apricot tan mauve blend.
$10 Mood Swing (Ghio 97)  Violet standards.  Apricot falls with light rim.
$4   Night Ruler (Schreiner 90)  Ruffled black purple.
$5   Ocean Jewels (O. Brown 95)  Apricot and white.  Blooms late in season.
$4   Outrageous Fortune (Schreiner 89)  Red falls with white arrow.  Buff
	standards.  Great stalks.
$5   Overnight Sensation  (Schreiner 95)  Neglecta.  Excellent plants and
stalks.
$4   Pink Sapphire (Hamblen 92)  Lavender and pink bicolor.
$10 Poem Of Ecstasy (Hager 97)  Big ruffled lavender and pink bicolor.
$4   Private Treasure (Shoop 93)  Orange and yellow bicolor.  Red beards.
Very bright.
$4   Rancho Grande (Ghio 88)  Wide ruffled gold and tan.
$4   Rapture In Blue (Schreiner 90)  Very pretty sky blue.
$4   Recherché (Hager 89)  Very late lavender.  One of our favorites.
$4   Rhonda Fleming  (Mullin 93)  Soft lavender and white plicata.
$8   Rippling River (Schreiner 95)  Dramatic ruffled bright medium blue.
$10 Romantic Evening (Ghio 96)  Spectacular dark neglecta. Red beards.
Popular.
$10 Select Circle (Ghio 97) Dark purple and white plicata.
$6   Shah Jehan (Neel 32) Terrific old iris. Wine falls with light edge.
Light buff 	standards.  Seldom offered.
$8   Silk Degrees (Blyth 96)  Icy lavender standards with pink-tan on falls.
$4   Silver Fizz (Hager 91) Very lacy silver lavender.  A late bloomer.
$4   Silverado (Schreiner 87) White with a hint of blue.  Dykes Medal.
$4   Skyblaze (Keppel 87)  Light blue with red beards.
$8   Smart Move (Keppel 95) Attention-getting variegata.  Bright and
distinctive.
$4   Snowbelt (Keppel 92)  White with purple band around falls.
$5   Somersault (Ghio 95)  Salmon and plum plicata.
$8   Spectral Challenge (Ernst 97)  Bright gold.
$4   Status Seeker (Gartman 90)  Smooth and wide coral.
$5   Storyteller (Ghio 94)  Fuchsia and salmon plicata.
$10 Sudden Impact (Tasco 97) Big ruffled deep lavender.  Progeny of Dusky
Challenger.
$4   Supreme Sultan (Schreiner 88) Huge neglecta.  Popular.
$4   Thornbird (Byers 89) Strange looking olive blend with purple horns.
Dykes Medal.
$4   Triple Whammy (Hager 90) Tall yellow and white with purple horns.
$4   Twilight Blaze (Keppel 92)  Dusky purple with bright red beards.
$4   Twist Of Fate (Palmer 80)  Blue standards, black falls.
$10 Vail (Moller 97) White with yellow in center.  A Colorado iris.
$4   Vigilante (Schreiner 91) Gold standards, black falls.
$4   Whispering (Hamblen 90) Very pretty pastel blend.
$10 Winning Edge (Ghio 97)  Ruffled and laced pink and white.
$4   Witching (Blyth 93)  Sky blue standards, falls overlaid brown.
$4   Yaquina Blue (Schreiner 92) Big and bright light blue.  Popular.

SHEBA’S JEWEL
ATTENTION: AMERICAN IRIS SOCIETY JUDGES:

We are in love with the late Howard Shockey’s 1994 arilbred introduction,
SHEBA’S JEWEL, and want to help get it into the gardens of as many AIS judges
as possible so that they may consider its worthiness for AIS awards.

We have a big clump of SHEBA’S JEWEL and will have several rhizomes available
this season.  If you are an AIS judge and would like to grow SHEBA’S JEWEL,
please say so on your order form, and we will include it in your order.  See a
photo of SHEBA’S JEWEL inside the back cover of the January 1998 AIS BULLETIN.
While supplies last.

BORDER BEARDED IRIS
Slightly smaller than Tall Bearded.  Bloom at same time.

$8   Apricot Topping (Black 97) Apricot standards, burgundy falls.
$4   Big Issue (Burch 93) Dark maroon bitone.
$4   Colorado Ambrosia (Magee 91)  Multicolored pastel blend.
$5   Combustion (Stahly 95)  Black purple with orange beards.
$4   Curacao (Blyth 90)  Pink buff and plum violet bicolor.
$8   Flavours (Blyth 96)  Soft lilac tan with large dark spot on falls.
$5   Low Spirits (Keppel 94)  Dramatic purple and white luminata.  An
attention-getter.
$8   Lyrique (Blyth 96)  Blue lilac with large dark purple spot of falls.
$4   Miss Nellie (Burch 83)  Pale yellow and red violet bicolor.
$4   Mostest (Durrance 90)  Very bright gold.
$4   Orinoco Flow (Bartlett 93)  Distinctive purple and white plicata.
British.
$4   Red Rooster (Durance 90)  Smooth well-formed brownish red.  Award winner.

These continue to be exciting times in our iris garden.  Last year we were a
host garden for the national convention of the American Iris Society, and it
was a wonderful experience.  The iris were at peak bloom.  We were able to
meet iris experts and enthusiasts from around the planet.  Some of the top
iris hybridizers generously took the time to comment on Lowell’s seedlings.
He learned more about hybridizing in those three days than he would have in
years on his own.

1999 marks the appearance of Lowell’s first introductions.  MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S
DREAM, a reblooming intermediate, and KIT FOX, a standard dwarf, are the
result of several years’ work and evaluation, starting with planning the cross
and implanting pollen to caring for the baby plants and subjecting them to
rigorous testing and evaluation.  MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM has been tested all
over the country and has received numerous positive comments for both its
beauty and its rebloom.  We are very proud that it received a relatively high
vote total in winning the AIS’ High Commendation Award for seedlings last
year.  KIT FOX is simply a very striking and distinctive dwarf iris.  Photos
of both are in our advertisement in the January 1999 AIS BULLETIN.

And, we have a name for our iris business, IRIS COLORADO.

Wishing you a spectacular gardening season,
                                                    Lowell and Barb.

INTERMEDIATES
Intermediate between Tall and Dwarf in size and bloom season.

$4   Ask Alma (Lankow 87)  Bright salmon orange.
$4   Blue Eyed Blond (Ensminger 89)  Yellow with blue beards.
$4   Butter Pecan (Hager 83)  Brown, yellow and white plicata.
$4   Cee Jay (Lankow 92)  Wide purple and white plicata.
$4   Darkness (Hager 93)  Black with bronze beards.
$8   Donegal (Keppel 97)  Silvery orchid.
$5   Dream Indigo (Bartlett 94)  Distinctive dark plum neglecta.
$5   Firebug (Gatty 94)  Bright perky variegata.  From Jazzamatazz.
$8   Fruit Cocktail (Keppel 97)  Yellow, primrose and peach.  Red beards.
$8   Galway (Keppel 97)  Pink shaded orchid.  Nice form.
$5   Guru (Keppel 95)  Purple and white plicata with tangerine beards.
$4   Hellcat (Aitken 83)  Cute classic neglecta.  Award winner.
$8   Imperative (Black 97)  Terrific smooth black with orange beards.
$4   Lemon Pop  (Lauer 90)  Light yellow.  Great performer.
$5   Little Mermaid  (Magee 94)  Delicate soft pink.
$5   Lunar Frost (Keppel 96)  White with yellow spot on falls.
$5   Mary Constance  (Bartlett 95)  Wide and ruffled medium blue.
$4   Maui Moonlight (Aitken 87)  Glowing pale yellow.
$4   Megglethorp (Innerst 90)  Medium blue with brown spot on falls.
$20 Midsummer Night’s Dream (Baumunk 99)  Reblooming smooth iridescent dark
	purple.
$4   Northern Jewel  (Schreiner 91)  White.  Excellent form and branching.
$4   Raspberry Blush (Hamblen 75)  Bright pink with darker spot on falls.
$5   Season Ticket (Gatty 95)  Glowing bright orange.
$4   Sunny Dawn (B. Jones 89)  Bright yellow and orange blend.
$4   Sunshine Boy (Foster 85)  Yellow and white.

STANDARD DWARF BEARDED IRIS
Early blooming.  8 - 15 inches.

$4   Being Busy (Hager 93)  Blue bearded variegata.  Light rim on cordovan
falls.
$5   Captive Sun (B. Jones 94) White with yellow on falls.  Blue beards.
$8   Cat’s Reign (D. Miller 97)  Dark purple with blue beards.  Colorado iris.
$4   Chanted  (Blyth 90)  Blue bearded pink.  Excellent.
$4   Chubby Cheeks (Black 85)  Classic wide light blue and white plicata.
$4   Dark Rings (Gatty 93)  Dark purple and white plicata.
$4   Dark Vader (L. Miler 87)  Great blackish purple.  Big blue beards.
$8   Dot Com (B. Jones 97)  Light blue with deeper blue dot.
$5   Fairy Lore (Hager 94)  Pink and white plicata.
$4   Forte (Black 87)  Vibrant red-purple bitone.
$4   French Toast (Sindt 90)  Yellow, brown and white plicata.
$8   Frugal  (Black 97)  Gold with fine brown dots covering falls.
$5   Gemstar (M. Smith 94)  Medium blue and white luminata.  Striking!
$5   Hottentot (M. Smith 95)  Very dark neglecta with blue beards.
$8   Incendiary (M. Smith 97)  Bright yellow and brownish red plicata.
$8   Kiss Me Quick (Blyth 96)  Soft pink and white plicata.  Excellent.
$15 Kit Fox (Baumunk 99)  Standards white with gold highlights.  Falls deep
chocolate 	brown with white outline.  Bright and distinctive!
$8   Lime Smoothy (Aitken 97)  White standards, lemon-lime falls.
$5   Midnight Mist (Black 95)  White, heavily washed red violet.
$4   Muchacha (Gatty 83)  Gold and white plicata.
$8   Muse (M. Smith 97)  Mauve standards, peach falls, coral beards.
$4   Nut Ruffles (Lankow 92)  Deep maroon with great form and ruffling.
$4   Opal Wings (Hager 93)  White and pale orange.
$4   Orange Dazzler (B. Jones 92)  Bright orange.  Red beards.
$5   Orange Outrage (B. Jones 95)  Deep orange with orange beards.
$5   Play Pretty (Hager 94)  Soft pure pink.
$4   Privileged Character (Black 90)  Silvery orchid, red violet luminata.
$4   Pumpin’ Iron (Black 90)  Sooty red black with darker spot.
$4   Pure Allure (Ritchie 87)  Our favorite pure white dwarf iris.
$8   Ringer (Keppel 97)  Dramatic bright yellow and brown plicata.
$4   Romanita (Blyth 93) Golden buff with lavender beards.
$4   Sass With Class (Black 89) Yellow standards. Jazzy brown lined falls.
$5   Shadow Box (Black 95)  Dark purple and red violet.
$4   Sigh (Black 89)  Blue bearded white.
$4   Tweety Bird (Black 92)  Ruffled yellow blending to orange.
$4   Very Violet (B. Jones 91)  Pure violet.  Blue beards.
$4   Volts (Blyth 93)  Bright pink with some lavender.
$4   Wunderkind (Hager 90)  Distinctive smooth and wide dark variegata.

ARIL AND ARILBRED IRIS
These are perhaps our favorite iris, descended from the sublime species of the
Middle East.  We have a large collection, and rather than sell them directly
each year, we contribute rhizomes to the Aril Society International for their
fabulous annual plant sale.  To participate in the plant sale, to receive the
beautiful and informative yearbook and to get periodical newsletters, join the
Aril Society International by sending $10 to:  Reita Jordan, 3500 Avenida
Charada NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107.  A $28 three-year membership includes a $12
gift certificate for the plant sale.

HISTORIC AND SPECIES IRIS AND OUR TWO-YEAR ROTATION
Our catalog is unique in that we offer an almost entirely new selection of
iris varieties every year. With our short growing season, we find it
advantageous to grow our plants for two years before we sell.  For us to grow
the most possible varieties and offer them to you, each iris only comes up for
sale in alternate years.  We hope you will enjoy the surprise of having a
catalog that is very different from last year’s.

We planned our Historic, Species and Table Iris beds so that all the plants
would be mature for last year’s convention.  We replanted them all last
summer, and none will be ready for digging this year.  We are definitely
continuing our interest in these types of iris and will be working toward
offering them to you on the same two-year rotation as the modern iris.

COME SEE THE IRIS!
You are invited to visit the garden during bloom season, usually late May to
early June.  Please call to be sure someone will be home.

JOIN THE AMERICAN IRIS SOCIETY
Four colorful Bulletins per year-- the only way to become an iris expert.
Find out about local iris shows, tours and programs.  Send $18 to Marilyn
Harlow, P.O. Box 55, Freedom, CA 95019.

HOW TO ORDER
Please include payment with the order.  Irises will be ready at the end of
July.  With our late season, we get better plants when we dig a little later
than warm weather growers do. We dig all our plants at the same time, so that
they will all be shipped fresh. You may pick up your plants or pay $4 to have
them mailed.  Unless you indicate a preference for a refund, substitution will
be made for unavailable varieties with plant(s) equal to at least twice the
value of the ordered variety.  Generous “EXTRAS” are included with every
order.  NO ORDERS CAN BE ACCEPTED AFTER JULY 25.