Re: HYB: HIST: pedigrees & tests

  • Subject: Re: HYB: HIST: pedigrees & tests
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:34:18 -0700

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Linda Mann
> Anyway, one line that I want to look at is WHOLE CLOTH's.  So that would
> think I can find for sale).  The SNOW FLURRY line will also give me some
> clues about NEW SNOW'S "peculiar" rollercoaster hardiness. [I shouldn't
> be doing this from memory - sorry if I mess some of these up - they are
> on Mike Lowe's WONDERFUL HIPS website]

Hi Linda,

Check Mike's pedigree charts again - SNOW FLURRY is not an ancestor of
WHOLE CLOTH. You might want to consider growing WC's pod parent CAHOKIA. It
was listed in the '98 Bluebird Haven Iris Garden catalog.
> I also want to look at some of BLUE RHYTHM'S line - SIERRA BLUE, LENT ?

The problem with BR is that there is very little on the pod side of its
pedigree that is probably still around. Argyle Acres does list CRUSADER -
it's 4 generations back, but it is a first generation tetraploid out of I.
cypriana, so it might be instructive to see how it does for you. It is also
in the background of many of the early "black" TBs.

I don't think LENT A.WILLIAMSON is in BR's pedigree.

> Are there other modern TB ancestral irises or lines that listers are
> especially curious about how they would grow for me?

How about the pinks? Hall's flamingo pink lines were essentially derived
from crosses among five cultivars: W.R. DYKES, DOLLY MADISON, MOROCCO ROSE,