Cult: Sdlgs. Moving out of Region 7, etc.

  • Subject: Cult: Sdlgs. Moving out of Region 7, etc.
  • From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:20:26 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

> From:	dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)
> >In Region 7, a lot of us have pretty much about decided that means we
> >all need to move somewhere else! :)

	And Tennessee (Region 7) is the only state that has the iris as the
state flower!  Which iris?  I think there are areas in each region
that are not terribly hospitable to the culture  of
certain types of irises.  In a sixties vintage AIS Bulletin,  mention
was made that bearded irises could not thrive south of  Interstate
Highway 20, which, of course, is untrue.  A map was shown and there
was this 'Line of Demarcation' on the map stretching from Georgia
into Texas and on westward. (Don't tell the people in Waco, Temple,
and Austin they shouldn't be growing bearded irises).

        I will never forget seeing TB's blooming near the coast in
Biloxi, MS.  That iris-lover was so determined to have bloom that he
had beds elevated three and four feet above the level of the rest of
the garden.   And, they did bloom because I never would have believed
it if I hadn't seen it. So, if you are determined  enough, I think
you can succeed.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8