Re: CULT: nematodes, etc

  • Subject: Re: CULT: nematodes, etc
  • From: phoenixflr@juno.com
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:53:12 -0500

From: phoenixflr@juno.com

Rosalie--

We are less bothered here in cold Zone 5 by nematodes--or so it seems--
but the caution against planting irises near tomatoes may have to do with
that.  When I was actually growing a vegetable garden, it was well
understood that tomatoes should not be planted in the same location two
years in succession.  In addition to root knot nematodes, tomatoes are
subject to two wilts--verticillium and fusarium--which I believe may also
winter over.  In any case, that's why the experiment station folks have
put so much effort into resistant varieties--and why hybrid seeds will
frequently carry the "vfn"  designation--or at least part of it,
depending on which of these three problems they have resistance to
(pardon my grammar)!  I know we have several plant scientists on this
list--probably one of them can give more info.

Helen Schueler Z5a
Between Syracuse & Oswego, NY
Where we continue to have a comforting blanket of snow to ward off sudden
cold.